Ottawa City Hall
The public enters through a glazed pavilion directly on the city’s ceremonial route. Beyond the 1958 tower block, low pavilions create a new municipal precinct. A subtly curving colonnaded promenade to the south forms the spine of the new building. From the west to east, it opens onto the community hall and city departments, culminating in the Council Chamber and the Mayor’s Pavilion. Departments requiring moderate public access are located along a secondary colonnade to the north. Between the two colonnades, a terraced garden lies at the heart of the new complex. Beginning in a formal paved courtyard to the west, the garden ends with a cascade of water into the Rideau River to the east. The new building’s northern walls rise dramatically out of the river—cylindrical shapes at the water’s edge offsetting a tall, rectangular observation tower.